• Photo
  • Headstone
  • Memorial Plaque

BISSETT, Thomas Harold Carling

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Exeter, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
33 years 4 months
Biographical Summary

NAME:                                BISSETT                     Thomas Harold Carling             photo    
RANK:                                Sergeant
DIVISIONAL UNIT:         4th Canadian Infantry Division
                                             10th Infantry Brigade
                                             47th Battalion - Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654123
RESIDENCE:                    Toronto – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            June 29, 1885
                                             Exeter – Stephen Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           November 1, 1918               33 years     4 months      
CEMETERY:                     Aulnoy Communal Cemetery – Aulnoy –
                                             Nord – France
                                             A     2     5
PARENTS:                         Thomas & Margaret Carling Bissett – Exeter – Ontario
Occupation:                        Salesman for Eaton’s           Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         Exeter – December 27, 1915 – 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 30 years     6 months

After enlistment and while he was in training Private Bissett transferred to the Provincial School of Instruction in Clinton on March 1, 1916. He was then appointed to Corporal on April 7, 1916, was then appointed Lance Sergeant on 
June 15, 1916 and then he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant on July 19, 1916. Sergeant Bissett, once in England he reverted to rank of Private which was in mid - March of 1918. He transferred to the 47th Battalion on March 28, 1918 and joining his unit in the field on August 14, 1918.
He was promoted to rank of Sergeant on October 23, 1918.
Sergeant Bissett was killed in action near Valenciennes and died instantly after being struck by the bullet from the gun of an enemy sniper. 
The weather was unsettled with west winds and Poor Observation.
Following the days fighting 19 men had died and 107 were wounded.
The enemy artillery and enemy snipers were active the whole day.
At 3:35 am “A” Company was right assault and “C” Company was left assault with “B” & D” Companies in support left/right.
At 5:15 am the barrage began, the enemy counter barrage was considerable with much gas being used. No resistance encountered until Poirier Station was passed and here the enemy who was well dug in was met in great numbers. The enemy defended with the fighting being bloody and bitter.
At 6:50 am the last objective was gained and at 7:05 am the advance advanced with “B” & “D” Companies leap frogging through “A” & “C” Companies who then became the support. There was much enemy resistance to the final objective and this point was gained and consolidated in depth. The enemy machine gun fire and trench mortar fire from Valenciennes was heavy on the companies holding the line of the railway and on the support companies.
At 7:15 am the Battalion reported it was advancing well, there was little resistance and prisoners were being sent back. At 7:20 the left advance Company reported advance continuing but that there was heavy enemy opposition but that they were overcoming it. The enemy was now shelling Mont Huoy with mustard gas.
At 7:55 am the 47th was advancing in the face of fierce opposition toward the Blue Line and keeping up with the creeping barrage.
At 10:00 am Battalion HQ moved to La Targette. Then at 10:10 am the 47th Battalion reached their Blue Line objective.
At 12:35 pm the Battalion reported the enemy machine guns and trench mortars were active on their left and they asked for artillery retaliation.
At 4:30 pm the enemy artillery laid down a barrage and the Brigade artillery did likewise. There was no infantry fight.
It was arranged that the 47th Battalion would be relieved by the 50th Battalion.