MATTHEWS, John Carlyle

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Date of Death
Age at Death
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         4th Canadian Infantry Division
                                             10th Infantry Brigade
                                             50th Battalion  -  Calgary
                                             “D” Company
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   928681
RESIDENCE:                    Fordwich - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            August 16, 1896
                                             Clifford – Wellington County - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           November 2, 1918               22 years     2 months
CEMETERY:                     Auberchicourt British Cemetery – Auberchicourt –
                                             Nord – France
                                             I     B     2
WIFE:                                 Mrs. Lillian Matthews – Fordwich - Ontario
PARENTS:                         Mr. Samuel and Margaret Matthews – Fordwich - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         March 4, 1916 - Harriston
Enlistment Age:                 20 years     6 months

Private Matthews left Canada on the S.S. Olympic and arrived in Liverpool on May 7, 1917. That same day he was taken on strength by the 25th Reserve Battalion. In the middle of February of 1918 he transferred to the 4th Reserve Battalion based in Bramshott - Hampshire. He was drafted to the 47th Battalion and went into France. While in France he transferred to the 50th Battalion and joined them in the field on June 7, 1918.
Private Matthews was acting as a stretcher bearer for the 47th Battalion northwest of Mont Huoy, where he received severe shrapnel injuries from enemy shell fire. He was wounded on November 1st and died the following day at 
No. 1 British Casualty Clearing Station - Escaudoeuvres. His wounds received were to his buttock, right thigh and arm.
Prior to the advance beginning early in the morning the enemy shelled the area using high explosive and gas shells, but the Brigade barrage was very effective onto the enemy and as the advance progresses, it was “D” Company who did a thorough job of mopping up the enemy in the thickly built up areas along the river. About 400-500 of the enemy became prisoners but there were large numbers who would not surrender and they were eliminated.
Following the final objective being taken the 50th then moved into a support position and consolidated their positions. During the day of fighting 5 men were killed, 35 were wounded and 85 were gassed.