MacLEAN, Allan Duncan

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Stratford, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             9th Infantry Brigade
                                             58th Battalion  -  Central Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   727616
RESIDENCE:                    Brussels - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            December 26, 1888
                                             Woolsely - Saskatchewan
DATE OF DEATH:           September 4, 1917               28 years     8 months
CEMETERY:                     Noeux-les-Mines Communal Cemetery – Noeux-les-Mines –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             II     A     20
FATHER:                           Mr. Archibald MacLean – Brussels - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         February 28, 1916 – Stratford – Ontario – into 110th Batallion
Enlistment Age:                  27 years     2 months

Private MacLean left Canada bound for England on the S.S. Caronia arriving in Liverpool on November 11, 1916. On March 6, 1917 he transferred to the 58th Battalion and joined his unit in the field on June 12, 1917.
On July 14, 1917 he was wounded in action, admitted to No. 22 Casualty Clearing Station with shrapnel wounds in his right cheek. Then he was admitted to No. 6 Red Cross Hospital based in Le Tourquet on July 17th. On the 24th he moved to a Convalescent Hospital and returned to his unit about the third week of August.
On August 29, Private Maclean was seriously wounded whilst he was lying outside of his billet at Marouc located near Lens. The fatal wounds he suffered were from the result of shrapnel from a nearby exploding shell. His wounds were dressed quickly and he was moved to No. 7 British Casualty Clearing Station - Bracquemont where he died about 6 days later. The wounds he suffered were to his head and right side.