RAYMOND, Earl Hoffman

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
London, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
19 years
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         3rd Canadian Infantry Division,
                                             9th Infantry Brigade,
                                             60th Battalion  -  Victoria Rifles,                                               photo
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   802546
RESIDENCE:                     London - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            April 12, 1898
                                             Detroit – Michigan – U.S.A.
DATE OF DEATH:           April 12, 1917                     19 years
CEMETERY:                     Etaples Military Cemetery – Etaples – 
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             XXII     G     11
PARENTS:                         Mr. Alfred & Ida Raymond – London - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farm Hand                           Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         January 3, 1916 – London – into 135th Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 17 years     8 months  
Private Raymond’s name is on the Brussels cenotaph and we have learned that he suffered wounds to the head and shoulder, was moved to No. 8 British Red Cross Hospital located at Le Touquet in France. We also have learned that he died from those head wounds on his birthday.
Private Raymond departed Canadian shores on the S S Olympic bound for Liverpool and arrived there on August 30, 1916. He transferred to the 116th Battalion in the middle of October and then he transferred to the 60th Battalion on 
December 5, 1916. It was then overseas into France and he joined his unit in the field on January 20, 1917.
From our research, we know that from Vimy where the Battalion was located to Le Touquet is approcimately 60 miles and it is our belief that Private Raymond after being wounded would have followed the medical care system in place from the Field Ambulance, to the Casualty Clearing Station and then be transported to the coast. This did not take place in one day. We do not know exactly when he was wounded. The diaries are very vague.
On April 8 in the evening the Battalion moved to the west side of the Arras – Bethune Road in preparation for the advance the next day.
On April 9th at 11:15 am the Battalion moved to the old Canadian front and observation line in rear of the craters, between De la Fourche and Goodman trenches. It was here the Battalion remained until the night of April 11, 1917. They moved forward to trenches dug and consolidated by the 8th Infantry Brigade in rear of the crest of the forward slope of Vimy Ridge.
It had snowed all April 10 / 11th and the trenches were very poor. All the surrounding ground was churned up from artillery shells and infantry and equipment advancing. On April 11th Battalion sent a platoon down the sunken road to establish a post. This road was subjected to some very heavy enemy artillery fire.
On April 12th, the Battalion sent out patrols to reconnoitre Flute, Flit and Flicker trenches which formed the defences of Vimy on the west side of the town of Vimy. The patrol was a success but it was subject to considerable heavy enemy machine gun and rifle fire.
“A” Company had six casualties while positioned at the old front and observation line. 
“B” Company sugffered 15 casualties from shell fire between on April 9 / 10.
“C” Company in their report did not mention casualties during April 9-11th.