CARTER, George

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Rainy River, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
36 years 4 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             9th Infantry Brigade
                                             52nd Battalion - New Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   820684
RESIDENCE:                    Fort Frances – Ontario.
DATE OF BIRTH:            June 13, 1881
                                             East Wawanosh - Huron County - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           November 2, 1917               36 years     4 months
CEMETERY:                     Etaples Military Cemetery – Etaples –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             XXX     J     6
WIFE:                                 Elizabeth Carter – Belgrave / Devlin - Ontario
PARENTS:                         Mr. and Mrs. Sam Carter – Auburn – Ontario
BROTHER:                        Mr. Fred Carter – Wingham - Ontario
Occupation:                        Lumberman                          Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         Rainy River – May 3, 1916 into 141 st Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 34 years     5 months

Private Carter arrived in Liverpool on May 7, 1917 and that same day he transferred to the 18th Reserve Battalion in Dibgate - Kent. He was drafted to the Machine Gun Section on May 27, 1917. Then in June he was Taken on Strength by the 52nd Battalion. He then goes overseas into France on June 22, 1917 and very early in September he joined his unit in the field.
Private Carter was wounded in action on October 26, 1917 during an attack on the Abraham Heights near Passchendaele. He was drafted to the Machine-gun section of the Battalion on May 27, 1917.
He was wounded in the neck, arm and wrist, attended to and taken to No. 2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station – Trois Abres on October 26, 1917. Then he was transferred to No. 56 General Hospital in Etaples. He was dangerously ill. This was November 2, 1917. Later that day he succumbed to those wounds received in the field.
During the morning of October 26th it rained very heavily and was cloudy the remainder of that day with winds at 10 mph from the south. The Brigade was located at the Capital and Weiltjk Dugouts. The attack was to be against the Passchendaele Ridge with zero hour being at 05:40 hours and all objectives were achieved by 08:30 hours that morning. At 09:30 hours “A” Company moved forward to reconnoitre from the Abraham Heights to Waterloo. “D” Company had the right and “C” Company had the left. “D” advanced throught the 58th Battalion and following a very heavy fight succeeded in pushing the enemy from Dad Trench. In doing so they suffered very severe casualties. “B” Company then moved in behind “A” Company who advanced and took the enemy flank plus two “pill boxes”. “B” Company then came up the right flank of “A” Company and both advanced and seized the remaining ground to the west including large pill boxes. 
The enemy tried a counter-attack but machine-gun and rigle fire broke the enemy formation up. “C” Company then moved up as support for “A & B” Companies. At 5 pm ammunition and iron rations were moved up to “A, B & C” Companies and following that they consolidated for the night 
It was during this day of fighting in the field where Private Carter lost his life in action.