CAMPBELL, Duncan Cameron

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Guelph, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
22 years 9 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         1st Canadian Infantry Division,
                                             3rd Infantry Brigade
                                             15th Battalion - 48th Highlanders of Canada
                                             Company 1
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   602479
DATE OF BIRTH:            November 18, 1895.
                                             Kintail – Ashfield Township – County of Huron
DATE OF DEATH:           September 27, 1918             22 years     9 months 
CEMETERY:                     Quarry Cemetery – Marquion – 
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                                  A     2
AUNT:                                Miss Rebecca Campbell – Lucknow – Ontario
BROTHER:                        Mr. Donald Campbell - Lucknow
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Guelph – Ontario – May 13, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 19 years     6 months

While Private Campbell was involved in military actions against the enemy with members of his Company, and as he advanced in the vicinity of Leek Wood located near Sauchy-Lestres he was struck down from an enemy bullet and died immediately. This was about 10:30 am.
He transferred to the 12th Reserve Battalion based in Shorncliffe - Kent in early February 1916. Then it is on to the 15th Battalion, overseas to France and joins his unit in the field on May 14, 1916.
 Private Campbell is wounded by shrapnel in September 1916, invalided to England and upon discharge tranfers to the Central Ontario Regiment on March 16, 1917.  Then it is to the 5th Reserve Battalion based in west Sandling and once again transfers to the 15th Battalion and goes into France near the end of November 1917 and finally joins his unit in the field on February 24, 1918.
During the day of September 27th the weather was fine and cool.
The Battalion was located at the Buissy Switch prior to advancing on September 27th. The Scouts were sent ahead to secure a crossing over the Canal du Nord and the enemy was firing on them and the Engineers. Many of the enemy nests were eliminated and the Battalion was able to reach the Bourlon Wood with few casualties. However, the enemy was bringing very heavy fire down from from the Marquion Line (from Chapel House). There was also heavy enemy fire in the woods between Knith Wood and the Canal. The Battalion then reached Marquion Village and had to fight their way through. A fairly large enemy party then attacked No. 4 Company from the rear at a distance of 70 yards. There was a short and severe fight here.
No. 1 Company which is where Private Campbell was serving was working its way north along the Marquion Line and advancing on a three platoon front until they reached the inter-Brigade boundary as far as the Blue Objective. They would then consolidate the blue line to where they would reach No. 2 Company. After fighting through the village, the Battalion had to advance without artillery support and by 2:30 pm the enemy had been cleared from the area and the Blue Line objective was able to be reached and held.
It was during this day of heavy fighting against the enemy where Private Campbell gave his life performing his duties. The Battalion casualties were 35 killed and 106 wounded.