SULLIVAN, John Thomas

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Brussels, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
21 years 2 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             3rd Machine Gun Battalion
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             No. 1 Company
                                             Canadian Machine Gun Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654402
RESIDENCE:                    Brussels – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            June 8, 1897
                                             London - England
DATE OF DEATH:           August 26, 1918                   21 years     2 months
CEMETERY:                     Orange Hill Cemetery – Fuechy –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                                  A     14
RELATIVES:                     Mr. & Mrs. George Fielder – London – England – (aunt/uncle)
Occupation:                        Farm Labourer                     Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         February 2, 1916 – Brussels – into 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 18 years     6 months

The 58th Battalion arrived in Halifax, boarded the S.S. Lapland and set sail from Halifax on November 1, 1916 and arrived in England on November 11, 1916 and went to Dibgate Camp - Kent.
Private Sullivan went overseas into France on December 1, 1916 and was Taken on Strength with the 58th Battalion and arrived in the field on December 24th.
In early March of 1917 he is reported as dangerously ill with pneumonia and returns to Shorncliffe – Kent – England and then in June of 1917 moved to the No. 8 Canadian Reserve Battalion before returning to France on September 13, 1917. He arrived with the 58th Battalion in the field and joined No. 1 Company of the 3rd Machine Gun Company.
On this day, the weather was cold, windy and there were squalls.
The 3rd Canadian Division had the objective of capturing Orange Hill and then Monchy-le-Preux
The original advance was to take place on Sunday August 25th but as this was the Sabbath General Currie had a superstitious feeling and put the advance back until Monday August 26th.
The advance began at 5:00 am with the roar and flash from the guns of the Canadian Corps. There were 
17 brigades of 18 pounders, 9 brigades of heavies and 30 brigades of long range guns.
The 8th Infantry Brigade was attacking and had encircled Monchy-le-Preux and captured it by 7 am.
No. 1 Company of the 3rd Battalion C.M.G.C. supported the attack of the 8th Infantry Brigade.  All four batteries numbering 8 guns per Battery advanced in support of the 8th Infantry Brigade. One Battery covered the left flank of Orange Hill and another Battery covered the right flank of Orange Hill. These Batterie would hold position and consolidate the flanks of Orange Hill. These two batteries with 16 guns would cover further advances by the infantry by firing overhead onto Monchy.  The other two Batteries with 16 guns were to advance and consolidate their positions on the flanks of Monchy.
“A Battery and the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles plus B” Battery with the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles were covering the flanks at Orange Hill. “A” Battery managed to advance forward at 3:00 am taking up positions on Orange Hill for indirect fire into Monchy from about 1,800 yards. “B” Battery lost one gun to enemy shell fire.
“C” Battery as they advanced toward lost a gun to enemy shell fire They were with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles “D” Battery with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles and at 10:00 am they came under heavy enemy trench mortar fire. At the same time the Battery was dealing with an enemy counter-attack. At this point the 7th Infantry Brigade assisted and this allowed the Battery and the 4th CMR to advance and took Cigar Copse. This Battery also lost a gun to enemy fire.
By the end of the day the front was 10,000 yards wide and the advance was 6,000 yards deep.
During this day of advancing and fighting and under continuous enemy fire was when Private Sullivan fell in action.
No. 1 Company had 24 Vickers Machine guns, 15-16 Officers and about 375 men attached to it.