RINGLER, John Carmichael

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Wroxeter, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
29 years 7 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             1st Infantry Brigade
                                             1st Battalion - Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654163
RESIDENCE:                    Wroxeter – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            February 17, 1889
                                             Wroxeter – Howick Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           September 27, 1918             29 years     7 months
CEMETERY:                     Quarry Cemetery – Montobaun –
                                             Somme – France
                                                  E     3
PARENTS:                         Mr. Ben and Elizabeth Ringler – Wroxeter - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Wroxeter – December 30, 1915 – 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 26 years     10 months

The 161st Battalion departed Halifax on November 1st and arrived in Liverpool on November 11, 1916. On February 23, 1918 Private Ringler was absorbed into the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion at Bramshott – Hampshire. He then goes overseas into France to the Canadian Base Depot on March 29, 1918. On April 3rd he joins his unit in the field.
Once the 1st Division crossed the Canal du Nord they advanced, attacked and took Sains-les-Marquion, the Marcoing Line and Marquion. At days end Haynecourt and were very close to the Marcoing Line.
Private Ringler and the men he was with had completed an advance at Haynecourt, secured their objective and were in the process of digging in when Private Ringler was struck in the head by flying shrapnel from enemy shells and died instantly.
The barrage prior to the advance began at 5:20 am with a very feeble enemy reply.
“D” & “C” Companies jumped off at 6 am and “A” & “B” Companies following at 6:10 am. The advance was met with heavy enemy machine-gun fire, especially at the railway and this caused the 3rd Battalion to be slowed. Progress was slow, but at 11 am the Green Line was reported to be in the hand of the Brigade. The barrage that the Brigade had put down was well beyond the Green Line by 11 am.
Before 2 pm “A” Company was on the sunken road, “B” Company was consolidating their positions on a two platoon front near the crest of a hill and “D” Company went forward to occupy and consolidate on the railway.
At 2:05 pm the 2nd Battalion passed through the 1st Battalion and were crossing the Cambrai Road.
“A” Company was at the Green Line reporting the 2nd & 3rd Battalions passing through.
At this point in the advance the enemy was retiring gradually and in small groups and under continuous Brigade machine-gun fire. 
Upon reaching their objectives, the companies consolidated their positions and dug in for the night.
Dispositions were made to protect from the possibility of any enemy counter-attacks and at the same time rations were brought up.
Casualties on this day numbered 20 killed and 133 wounded.