RICHARDSON, James Maltman

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Winnipeg - Manitoba
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
33 years 2 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:     1st Canadian Infantry Division                                                                                                                                              2nd Infantry Brigade                                                                                                                                                              8th Battalion - 90th Rifles (Royal Winnipeg Rifles)                                                                                                              Canadian Infantry Corps                                                                                              RESIDENCE:              Duck Mountain - Manitoba                                                                                                      BORN:                        Silver Creek - Manitoba                                                                                                  CEMETERY:               Haynecourt British Cemetery - Haynecourt - Nord - France                                                                                                  III     A     15                                                                                                                      PARENTS:                  Mr. & Mrs. Donald Richardson - Bluevale - Ontario                                                            Personal:                    Height 5'  10", weight 155 pounds with a ruddy complexion, grey eyes and brown hair.

Private Richardson left Canada on his way to Liverpool in England on the SS Justica and arrived overseas on May 14, 1917. Upon his arrival in England he transferred to the 18th Battalion - Dibgate - Kent. He then is drafted to the 8th Battalion, goes overseas into France and on September 27, 1917 he joins the 1st Entrenching Battalion. In mid October he joins the 8th Battalion already in the field.                                                                                            He was wounded on November 10, 1917 after he was buried by an enemy shell explosion and was taken to No. 6 Field Ambulance and then moved to No. 44 Casualty Clearing Station. From there he is moved to No. 3 Convalescent Depot on December 5th which was based at Le Treport. Three weeks later he rejoins his unit in the field.                                                                                                                                                                  During the night of September 28/29 it was very quiet. At 6 am on September 29th the 8th Battalion was the centre of the upcoming advance. The Canadian artillery was brought down onto the Cambrai Road and to the east of it without informing the 8th Battalion. As a result the forward Companies of the Battalion had to move back to a safer areas. As this operation had to take place in the daylight hours the left flank and "B" Company suffered extreme casualties. At 8 am the second Canadian barrage began and it was falling short and again "B" Company was taking heavy casualties. On the right the infantry was seen advancing and when the 8th Battalion began to move the enemy machine gun positions on the left were inflicting additional casualties and this was because the British advance on the left was having difficulty advancing. The Battalion still pressed forward but the advance slowed because "A" Company was taking heavy enemy enfilade fire. Then, word came that all the officers of "A & C" Companies had become casualties. Now the Battalion found the enemy wire was intact in places and slowing the advance and all the while there was enemy artillery and machine gun fire from the enemy on the high ground.          "A & C" Companies were able to throw back three enemy counter attacks. During the afternoon advance the 8th Battalion became aware that the British on their left were not with them so the decision was made to gather the remaining men and with Canadian artillery support into a striking force for whatever might happen. Later that afternoon the decision was made for the 8th Battalion to be relieved.                                                                  Private Richardson while advancing and performing his duties was struck down from the effects of heavy enemy machine gun fire and he died on the field of battle.                                                                                                        Casualties during the battle of September 29, 1918 the Battalion casualties were severe with 60 men being killed, 260 men being wounded and  and 60 men were missing.