HUDSON, John Wesley

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Walkerton - Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
27 years 3 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:     1st Canadian Infantry Division                                                                                                                                             1st Infantry Brigade                                                                                                                                                               1st Battalion - Western Ontario                                                                                                                                             Canadian Infantry Corps                                                                                                                RESIDENCE:             Cargill - Ontario                                                                                                                                  DATE OF BIRTH:       June 6, 1891 - Kincardine Township - County of Bruce - Ontario                                                      PARENTS:                  Mr. Wesley & Grace Hudson - Lucknow - Ontario                                                                            Personal:                    Height 5'  9" with a weight of 160 pounds. John was of fair complexion with grey eyes and fair                                         hair. 

It is not understood by the researchers why for a man born in Bruce County and living in Bruce County does not have his name engraved on any Bruce County cenotaph or memorial. We have him in our data base as his parents were living in Lucknow which is on the border of Huron / Bruce Counties.                                                                      This solder embarked from Canada on October 17, 1916 and arrived in England at Liverpool on October 28, 1916. On February 28, 1918 he transfers to the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion based at Witley Camp - Surrey and the following day he is posted to the 1st Battalion and then proceeds into France on March 28, 1917 and on April 12th which was three days following the attack on Vimy Ridge he joins his unit at the front.                                                  During the early morning of September 27th at 5:20 am the Brigade artillery barrage began to fall on the enemy positions and the enemy replied with a feeble barrage of their own which increased later with heavy calibre fire. The Division was to cross the Canal du Nord and then they were to fan out and advance toward the north attacking and capturing Sains-les-Marquion and Marquion before crossing the Arras-Cambrai road and taking the enemy positions in front of the Marcoing Line. The 4th / 14th would lead the attack with the 1st / 13th passing through to attack the Marcoing Line.                                                                                                                                                                  The 1st Battalion advanced between Buissy and Haynecourt with "C & D" Companies leading at 6 am while "A & B" Companies following at 6:10 am and the advance encountered very heavy enemy machine gun fire at the railway especially. Progress was slow but the Green Line was reached at 11 am. "A" Company was positioned on the Sunken Road and began to consolidate, "B" Company consolidated on a two platoon front near the crest of a hill and "D" moved forward to consolidate at the railway. At this point the enemy was retreating in small groups under heavy fire from the Battalion.                                                                                                                                              Lance Corporal Hudson while advancing was shot through the heart by enemy machine gun fire in the vicinity of the Canal du Nord.                                                                                                                                                Casualties on this day for the 1st Battalion were 20 men being killed and 133 being wounded.