GUILFOYLE, Thomas Reginald

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
London - Ontario
Date of Death
Age at Death
26 years
Biographical Summary

NAME: GUILFOYLE, Thomas Reginald
MEDICAL UNIT: No. 13 Canadian General Hospital, Hastings - Sussex - England, Canadian Army Medical Corps                            
RESIDENCE:  Toronto - Ontario
WIFE: Mrs. Ruth Guilfoyle - Huntsville - Ontario       
MOTHER: Mrs. Mary Ann Guilfoyle - Stevensville - Ontario

Thomas received his primary education in the Lucan area and following his secondary education he enrolled at the University of Western Ontario into the Faculty of Medicine. Upon his graduation he moved to Belgrave and opened his practice as a general practitioner for a period of time before moving to Toronto to continue his practice.

Captain Guilfoyle then sailed from Canada on the SS Lapland on July 16, 1916 arriving overseas in Liverpool on July 25, 1916. He then transferred to No. 1 Canadian Stationary Hospital on August 11, 1916 and proceeded to the Macedonian front on the Hospital Ship Gloucester Castle which left Southampton on August 12th. He disembarked from the ship in Solonika (Macedonia) now Greece. He retuned to England on September 4, 1917 and reported to    No. 13 Canadian General Hospital in Hastings - Sussex.

He then himself became a patient at his own hospital on January 14, 1918 with debility (loss of strength) and on February 10th he was discharged. It was determined that while he was in Solonika he had contacted malaria as he was experiencing the chills, headaches, vomiting followed by the sweats and while he was in Solonika he had lost 30 pounds in 14 months.

Captain Guilfoyle was then invalided back to Canada on February 16, 1918 on the Hospital Ship Llandovery Castle and then posted to the Canadian Army Medical Depot. By July 4th he was back in England and posted to the Reserve Depot of the Canadian Army Medical Corps based at Shorncliffe - Kent. From here he was posted to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Casualty Company and on September 13th he was posted to Command thee Bourley Wood Segregation Camp - Aldershot -  Hampshire. Just a week later he was posted to the 3rd Canadian Reserve Battalion at Witley Camp - Surrey. 

Captain Guilfoyle was then admitted to No. 12 Canadian General Hospital in Bramshott - Hampshire on October 20, 1918 and in four short days was classified as dangerously ill. He died from the effects of pneumonia four days later on October 28, 1918.