KELLAND, Frederick John

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
London - Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
27 years 5 months
Biographical Summary

NAME:                        KELLAND          Frederick Johnstone                                                                                              DIVISIONAL UNIT:     1st Canadian Infantry Division                                                                                                                                             2nd Infantry Brigade                                                                                                                                                             1st Machine Gun Company                                                                                                                                                   No. 2 Company - "H" Battery                                                                                                                                                 Canadian Machine Gun Corps                                                                                                          PARENTS:                 Mr. Robert and Elizabeth Kelland - London- Ontario                                                                          Personal:                    He was 5'  8" tall with a fair complexion, blue eyes and brown hair. He was a labourer with the                                         Teamsters and was raised in the Church of England.

     Frederick was born in Exeter - Stephen/Usborne Townships - County of Huron and at a young age the family then moved to London. He received his education at Empress Avenue Public School and St. Georges Secondary School. Then as a young man he went to the United States and he served for three years in the American Army.                         When he enlisted he went into the 1st Battalion - Western Ontario. The information about when he embarked from Canada and arrived overseas in England is not available in his files but once overseas we know that on June 27, 1915 he was Taken on Service to No. 2 Company - Shorncliffe - Kent. Then Private Kelland was involved in a draft to the 1st Battalion - Western Ontario on August 23, 1915.                                                                                            On February 10, 1916 he requested a transfer from the 1st Battalion to the Canadian Machine Gun Corps and one week later his request was granted. On May 14, 1916 he is given the rank of Corporal. Ten days later, on May 24th, Corporal Kelland is wounded in the back and is taken to No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station and from there is admitted to No. 1 Canadian General Hospital - Etaples on May 26th. He then rejoins his unit in the field on June 28, 1916. On November 6th he attends Machine gun School - Cormiers and while there is promoted to the rank of Sergeant on November 19, 1916.                                                                                                                              From the end of November 1916 until August of 1918 the 1st Canadian Division was involved at Vimy, Arleux, The Scarpe, Hill 70 and Passchendaele. Sergeant Kelland survived these battles.                                                              On August 8, 1918 which was the first day of the Battle of Amiens Sergeant Kelland with No. 2 Company - "H" Battery - gun No. 4 were located in the vicinity of Demuin and they were to move forward and keep close contact with the infantry. At 4:20 am the Division artillery began their bombardment onto the enemy positions. At 6:20 am they began to follow the infantry of the 10th Brigade with their gun limbers and would assist them and harass the retreating enemy. They came into action very early in the advance from enemy machine guns / snipers. The advance was more difficult because of a ground mist and smoke bombs. By 7:15 am the infantry had their first objective being the Green line running from the east edge of Courcelette to the north end of Courcelette Wood. Later in the morning they were still under enemy fire and at 10:45 am the guns were unloaded and once set up they engaged the enemy.At 11:30 am they were again in action with the advance continuing. By 2:40 pm in the afternoon was when the second objective being the Blue Line had been reached and the infantry began to consolidate their positions. Between 6-8 pm several enemy shrapnel shells fell in the area and No. 2 Company were subject to very heavy enemy machine gun fire. "H" Battery took a number of casualties and again the machine guns came into action on the western edges of Rozieres between 6-9:30 pm. Over the course of the days advance "H" Battery expended 23,000 rounds onto the enemy.                                                                                                                                             Sergeant Kelland was killed by enemy bullets during the advance and shortly after the infantry reached the final objective the Blue Line was when he was struck in the chest by enemy fire. His comrades gave him immediate attention and he was moved to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance and died  a short time later.