1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Edmonton - Alberta
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
25 years 2 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:     1st Canadian Infantry Division                                                                                                                                             3rd Infantry Brigade                                                                                                                                                               14th Battalion - Royal Montreal                                                                                                                                             Canadian Infantry Brigade                                                                                          RESIDENCE:             Edmonton area                                                                                                                      BIRTH:                       Stephen Township - County of Huron - Ontario                                                                PARENTS:                 Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Livingood - Kitchener- Ontario.                                                              Personal:                    Height 5'  4" and a weight of 162 pounds. Warren had a dark complexion with brown eyes and                                         black hair. He was raised in the Methodist faith and he earned his living from farming in the                                             Edmonton area. To date we have not been able to verify if Private Livingood is honoured and                                           remembered on any Alberta cenotaph.

Private Livingood left Canada for England on the SS Missanabie and arrived in Liverpool on April 28, 1916. He transferred to the 14th Battalion and went into France and joined his unit in the field on June 11, 1916.                        On September 26, 1916 three Companies of the Battalion were to advance with one Company in support and each company attacking on a one platoon front. The machine guns opened up onto the enemy positions at 12:34 pm with the first wave leaving their trenches one minute later. There was a 70-100 yard distance between advancing infantry, the third and fourth waves leaving the trenches and the mopping up wave. Prior to the second wave advancing heavy enemy machine gun and artillery fire came down onto the Battalion positions.                                                  At 1:05 pm the first objective was taken and in five more minutes the Battalion was over the ridge. At 1:12 pm the the support Company advanced to consolidate the first objective. By 2:40 pm the final objective was taken and the Battalion then consolidated the captured positions.                                                                                        Battalion diaries: During the afternoon three enemy counter attacks were thrown back. The final objective had been Kenora Trench but now the enemy was bringing his artillery down onto the Battalion as they tried advancing up the trench. The 31st Battalion on the right had failed to advance and now enfilade fire was coming from the junction of Kenora and Sudbury Trenches and heavy casualties began to be taken. The 15th Battalion on the left had not been ordered to advance to their final objective resulting in both flanks now being open to enemy fire.                     Brigade diaries : at 8:50 am it was reported the enemy was working near the junction of Kenora/Regina Trenches and artillery fire was brought down on them. At 9:30 am the enemy artillery replied onto the front and support lines of the Brigade. At 1:27  pm the second wave had advanced over the ridge. At 2:40 pm the 14th Battalion reports fire from an enemy strong point which is occupied by the enemy with steel hats and backpacks. The Battalion is now asking Brigade for artillery fire onto the enemy strong points. The Brigade is also asking. Brigade is also being asked to being artillery fire just beyond the final objective of the 14th Battalion. In the early evening , the 14th Battalion reported that they now hold their final objective of Kenora Trench.                                                                                Private Livingood fell in battle and died immediately and during the three days of this operation 360 men were either killed, wounded or listed as missing.