FORSYTH, Ross Frederick

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Wingham, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
19 years 8 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             9th Infantry Brigade
                                             58th Battalion - Central Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654177
RESIDENCE:                    Wingham – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            September 23, 1897
                                             Brussels – Morris Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           June 6, 1917                         19 years     8 months
CEMETERY:                     Etaples Military Cemetery – Etaples –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             XXV     G     8
PARENTS:                         Mr. Alex and Susan Button Forsyth – Wingham – Ontario
Occupation:                        Upholsterer                          Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Wingham – January 3, 1916 – 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 18 years     4 months

Private Forsyth arrived in England on November 11, 1916 and on the 27th of November transfers to the 58th Battalion in Shorncliffe – Kent then goes overseas at the end of November and joins his unit in the field on December 30, 1916.
Private Forsyth was wounded on April 18th after his Brigade had been relieved and they were on the way back to the billets. The winds were from the north-east at 10 mph, the day was dull and it was mild.
The enemy artillery was very active all day and as the 58th Battalion walked back to the rear they were doing so with difficulty. They received several casualties from enemy shell fire coming down on them on the Bois-de-Bonvel Road. Private Forsyth was immediately treated and admitted to No. 4 Canadian Field Ambulance.
He had received wounds to his left thigh, left knee, left leg, right hand and his neck.  He was then transferred to No. 30 Casualty Clearing Station on April 22nd where he was reported to be dangerously ill. 
The following day he was transferred from No. 30 British Casualty Clearing Station - Aubigny to No. 26 British General Hospital in Etaples where doctors reported him to be very dangerously ill.
 On June 6th, he died from his wounds while a patient at No. 26 British General Hospital based at Etaples.