FERGUSON, Denton Boyne


1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Weyburn -Saskatchewan
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
17 years 9 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         4th Canadian Infantry Division     
                                             11th Infantry Brigade
                                             102nd Battalion  -  North British Columbians
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   925452
RESIDENCE:                    Yellow Grass – Saskatchewan 
DATE OF BIRTH:            July 10, 1899
                                             Wingham – Turnberry Township – Huron County - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           April 9, 1917                        17 years     9 months
CEMETERY:                     Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery – Neuville-St-Vaast – 
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                                  B     32
PARENTS:                         John and Mary Jane Ferguson – Kyleville – Saskatchewan
Occupation:                        Bank Clerk                           Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         Weyburn – Saskatchewan – March 9, 1916 – into 152nd Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 16 years     8 months

Private Ferguson left Canada on October 3, 1916 arriving in England on October 13, 1916. He then was taken on strength by the 32nd Battalion. He then proceeded through the draft to the 102nd Battalion on November 30, 1916. He arrived overseas in France on December 1, 1916 and joined his unit in the field on December 22, 1916.
Zero hour was 5: 30 am and the barrage began. Within 5 minutes of the infantry “going over the top” it was learned the attacking waves were in perfect formation.
By 5:45 am the infantry had gained the first enemy trench. By 6 am the report was that the second line of enemy trenches had been stomed and by 7:40 am the third line of enemy trenches had been won. The Battalion then began to consolidate their positions and the left flank seemed well protected.
“D”Company reported Strong Point 2 established and that an enemy Strong Point on the left of Broadmarsh Crater had been captured. Enemy sniping was now a serious problem and coming from 
Hill 145.
The 54th Battalion had passed through the Battalion but now were being forced back and both they and the Battalion were holding the trenches. By 9 am it had been reported from Bedbug Trench that the Battalion consolidation had been completed.
“A” Company sent out a party with small arms ammunition, bombs, Lewis gun ammunition and 2 Lewis guns. Their objective was the front lines but because of heavy enemy sniping they could not reach the front. The night of April 9 / 10 was quiet.
It was during this day of battle when Private Ferguson lost his life in action.