GARTON, Thomas

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Clinton, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
29 years 1 month
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             1st Infantry Brigade
                                             1st Battalion  -  Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   A / 416
RESIDENCE:                    Clinton – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            August 16, 1887
                                             Goderich – Goderich Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           September 24, 1916             29 years     1 month
CEMETERY:                     Puchevillers British Cemetery – Puchevillers –
                                             Somme – France
                                             IV     D     42
PARENTS:                         Mr. George and Mary Ann Garton – Whitechurch – Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Clinton – January 14, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 28 years     5 months

Private Garton we believe embarked from Canada at some point in the middle of June 1915. He was then drafted to the 1st Infantry Battalion on August 23, 1915 and joined his unit in the field on August 29, 1915.
Private Garton was seriously wounded in the chest and shoulder while in action on September 23, 1916, transferred to No. 3 British Casualty Clearing Station - Puchevillers where he would die the following day of his injuries.
The 4th Battalion during the morning sent over small parties of reinforcements following the battles of the previous day. These men helped strengthen the Battalion front lines. In the early morning three separate bombing attacks were made by the enemy against the right front sector but these were beaten off with heavy casualties to the enemy. Enemy counter-attacks also took place onto the centre sector. During the enemy advances the Battalion Lewis guns and snipers were very efficient. The enemy was not able to reach the front lines of the battalion.
As dawn approached the enemy about 70 yards away was observed working in large numbers digging a new line and this line was between the Battalion right flank and the Bapaume road. Many of the enemy were shot after exposing themselves to rifle fire.
Between 6 am – 7:30 am the enemy attempted four separate raids. All failed. 
In the early afternoon the artillery was quiet but Allied planes were very active over the enemy lines.
At 2:40 pm all companies were ordered to tighten up any gaps that might exist in the lines and to improve communications.
At 9:30 pm the enemy artillery opened up a very intense bombardment onto Courcelette.
It was during this day of fighting where Private Garton was wounded and would lose his life the following day.