HABICK, Andrew

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
London, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
31 years 5 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             4th Canadian Mounted Rifles  -  Toronto 
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   401331
RESIDENCE:                     London – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            April 28, 1885
                Lucknow – Ashfield / West Wawanosh – Huron County - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 7, 1916                   31 years     5 months
CEMETERY:                     Etaples Military Cemetery – Etaples –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             XVI     D     8
PARENTS:                         Mr. John and Elizabeth Habick – Lucknow – Toronto - Ontario
Occupation:                        Bar Keeper                           Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         London – August 6, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 30 years     4 months

Private Habick departed Canada on March 17, 1916 and arrived in Liverpool on March 25, 1916. Private Habick transferred to the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles on June 6, 1916 and following that went to France and arrived at the Canadian Base Depot the following day. From here he left for his unit which was already in the field and joined them on June 9, 1916.
Private Habick’s file states he was wounded in the knee in battle on October 2nd near Camiers. He then was immediately transferred to No 18 General Hospital located at Etaples and is reported as dangerously ill. Again, on October 7, 1916 he is reported as dangerously ill but he was not able to survive the day.
We believe from our reseach that he was wounded later during the day on October 1st.
The objective was the Regina Trench. The ridge overlooking Thiepval, Grandcourt and Miraumont had been taken with Regina Trench being on the reverse slope. The 4th Mounted Rifles had left flank which covered a 600 yard front. Reports had come in stating that the enemy wire was very thick and heavy and it appeared the artillery had not cut it. The artillery tried again but in any case the advance was to advance.
It was raining and the men knew the wire was not cut and what to expect and as they advanced they realized the Division artillery had come down to far out and the result was the enemy was causing extreme casualties even before the wire was reached. Those that reached the wire suffered more extreme casualties. By 5 pm the attack had become a bombing melee and they were low on ammunition of all kinds. About this time the enemy tried to attack but they were forced back.
The attack on this day was not successful, due to the fact that Regina Trench was not completely captured and held.
It was during this day of bitter fighting and heavy losses where we feel Private Habick received his wounds.