LOCKWOOD, James Clarence

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Brandon, Manitoba
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
29 years 7 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         4th Canadian Infantry Division
                                             10th Infantry Brigade
                                             44th Battalion  -  New Brunswick 
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   865602
RESIDENCE:                    Brandon - Manitoba
DATE OF BIRTH:            January 8, 1889
                                             Clinton – Goderich Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           August 10, 1918                   29 years     7 months
MEMORIAL:                    Vimy Memorial – Vimy –
                                             Pas de Calais - France
PARENT:                           Mr. Fred Lockwood – Clinton – Ontario
SISTER:                              Mrs. Charles Linton – Toronto – Ontario
SISTER:                              Mrs. H. Barr – Toronto - Ontario
Occupation:                        Teamster                               Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         May 19, 1916 – Brandon - Manitoba
Enlistment Age:                  27 years

Private Lockwood departed Canada on the S.S. Grampian bound for England and arrived in Liverpool on April 29, 1917 and that same day transferred to the 18th Reserve Battalion based in Dibgate, Kent. He then is drafted to the 44th Battalion, proceeds into France in June and then joins his unit in the field on July 5, 1917.
He had spent several months in a British hospital during the winter of 1917/18 suffering from rheumatics, and his latest letter home indicated that he had recovered. 
Private Lockwood was with his Company when they came under heavy enemy machine gun fire prior to an upcoming attack on Fouquescourt. He was struck in the head and was killed instantly.
The advance on the 10th began and they moved forward in four waves about 200 yards apart. The distance between the waves was too great and there was no enemy opposition from their outpost positions and it was here where the enemy barrage came down heavily and continued throughout the advance. The advancing waves began to lose their formation as they encountered enemy wire and trenches.
As they moved ahead they came under heavy enemy machine-gun fire from the old enemy front line west of Fouquescourt and west of the village. They were not being attacked, from the village itself and from the rige to the left of the village.
The intensity of the machine-gun fire increased in intensity and the attack went in rushes. By doing this the old enemy front line was gained.
When the village was reached a check was apparent all along the line because of the enemy machine-gun fire coming from the right mainly and this fire was effective because there was a lateral valley running across no man’s land.
The battalion sent up red flares and immediately a Brigade barrage fell on the village and then it began to fall on the men of the Battalion who were mopping up in the village. There were 15-20 casualties taken here.
It was during this advance and heavy enemy fire where Private Lockwood fell in battle.