SUTTON, Wilbert Stanley

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Clinton, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
37 years 8 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        2nd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             4th Infantry Brigade
                                             18th Battalion  -  Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   54328
DATE OF BIRTH:            December 23, 1878
                                             Township of Grey – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           September 15, 1916             37 years     8 months
MEMORIAL:                    Vimy Memorial – Vimy
                                             Pas de Calais - France
WIFE:                                 Mrs. Anna Sutton
PARENTS:                         Mr. James and Mary Sutton – Woodford - Ontario
Occupation:                        Painter                                  Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         January 26, 1915 – Clinton – Ontario into 33rd Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 37 years

His original Battalion was the 33rd Battalion but prior to going overseas he transferred to the 18th Battalion. He then went to Halifax and embarked from Canada April 18, 1915 on the SS Grampian arriving in England on April 29, 1915. He embarks for France with “A” Company and arrives in Boulogne on September 15, 1915. On April 10, 1915 he is attached to 250th Tunneling Company of the Royal Engineers. Then he is temporarily attached to the 2nd Tunneling Company on April 10, 1916 that same day.
On July 1, 1916 he is back with the 18th Battalion.
The main objective on the Brigade front was between Martinpoice and Courcelette extending 250 yards north-west of the Albert-Bapaume Road and then about 450 yards south-east of the road. The objective itself was an enemy second line fire trench and the Sugar Loaf. Both were well armed and manned enemy positions.
The 18th Battalion was attack right and would advance with a three platoon front with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves each having 3 platoons.
Zero hour came at 06:20 am and the Brigade artillery came down on the enemy front and support trenches and there were many enemy men in those trenches as they themselves were planning an attack and were caught in the barrage. 
At 06:24 am the first wave pushed off. At 6:24 am the first enemy trench was captured. At 6:34 am the second enemy trench was captured. At 6:30 am the tanks began to advance. The strong point at the Sugar Loaf had received the attention of the Brigade artillery and the attack on this position came from three sides just following the barrage and it was taken at 7:00 am.
All objectives along this front had been achieved and all along the front the infantry was consolidating their positions.
At 9:20 am the Battalion advanced forward toward Gun Pit Road with the support of the artillery and this was taken with little opposition. While Gun Pit Road was being secured and consolidated the Briade on the right of the Battalion joined us 
About now the enemy finally realized just how deep the 18th Battalion and the Brigade had advanced and he brought down a heavy barrage on the Sugar Loaf. Our men were removed safely. Gun Pit Road and the surrounding trenches also received a heavy enemy shelling.
The was the situation Private Sutton was facing when he was killed in action.