WRIGHT, William Melbourne

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Edmonton - Alberta
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
30 years 3 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         4th Canadian Infantry Division
                                             10 Infantry Brigade
                                             50th Battalion – Calgary
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO                    231470
RESIDENCE:                    South Edmonton - Alberta
DATE OF BIRTH:            June 27, 1887
                                             Turnberry Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 8, 1917                   30 years     3 months
CEMETERY:                     Brussels United Church Cemetery – Brussels –
                                             County of Huron – Ontario
                                             (family plot)
PARENTS:                         Mr. Francis and Margaret Wright – Bluevale - Ontario
Occupation:                        Miner                                   Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         April 24, 1916 – Edmonton – Alberta into 202nd Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 28 years     10 months

Private Wright departed from Canada on the S.S. Mauratania and arrived in Liverpool November 30, 1916.
He transferred to the 50th Battalion, proceeded into France and joined his unit in the field on June 16, 1917.
On July 15, 1917 he was admitted to No. 26 General Hospital with a nervous breakdown.
He was then invalided back to England on July 19, 1917 as a patient on the Hospital Ship St. Denis and admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital located at Netley in Hampshire.
He was then transferred to the Lord Derby War Hospital located at Warrington in Cheshire on July 24, 1917.
Private Wright was invalided back to Canada from Liverpool on the Llandovery Castle in September of 1917.
He was discharged from military service while a patient at the Newmarket – Ontario Military Hospital on 
October 8, 1917 as being no longer physically fit for service. Later that same day he passed away.