WEILAND, Frank (Francis)

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Toronto, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
28 years 5 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        70th Overseas Artillery Battery
                                             2nd Tank Battalion
                                             Canadian Field Artillery
SERVICE NO:                   3036046
RESIDENCE:                    Seaforth
DATE OF BIRTH:            May 4, 1890
                                             Seaforth – Tuckersmith Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 15, 1918                 28 years     5 months
MEMORIAL:                    Halifax Memorial – Halifax
                                             Nova Scotia – Canada
                                             Panel 2
PARENTS:                         Mr. Henry and Sarah Weiland – Egmondville - Ontario
Occupation:                        Printer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         May 1, 1918 – Toronto – Ontario into 1st Depot Battalion / 
                                                                                      1st Central Ontario Regiment.
Enlistment Age:                 27 years     11 months

Frank was conscripted into military service in the 177th draft under the Military Service Act of 1917.
Private Weiland was transferred to the 70th Overseas Battery – 2nd Tank Battalion on September 20, 1918
Private Weiland departed from Canada on the British troopship HMS Victoria on October 4, 1918
Private Weiland died from the effects of broncho-pneumonia on board the troopship HMS Victoria and was buried at sea. 
Following his death there was a Court of Inquiry on board HMS Victoria concerning the circumstances of his death. One witness stated that he was well prior to leaving Camp Petawawa and when they sailed from Halifax but that one day later Private Weiland stated he did not feel well. Another witness agreed with that statement. 
On October 11th Private Weiland was admitted to the hospital on the ship, which was non existent, suffering from influenza with the prescribed treatments being carried out. However, by October 15th he was critically ill from Broncho-Pneumonia and he died at 6:10pm that evening.
It was found that the part of the ship being used as a hospital was a source of danger to all patients, with much Spanish Influenza being on board and that this ship should never had been allowed to sail from Halifax. Had those infected been quarantined many lives could have been saved.