VOLLICK, Herbert Henry

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Sarnia, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
34 years 11 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        2nd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             4th Infantry Brigade
                                             18th Battalion  -  Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   845411
RESIDENCE:                    Point Edward - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            April 23, 1883
                                             Hensall – Hay Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           April 12, 1918                      34 years     11 months
CEMETERY:                     Lapugnoy Military Cemetery – Lapugnoy
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             IX     B     5
WIFE:                                 Mrs. Clara Vollick – Hensall – Point Edward - Ontario
Occupation:                        Porter                                    Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         January 31, 1916 - Sarnia
Enlistment age:                  32 years     9 months

Following his enlistment, he transferred to the 4th Overseas Pioneer Battalion on May 10, 1916. He and his unit embarked from Haliax on September 12, 1916 and arrived in England on the SS Metagama on September 22, 1916. He then transfers to the 4th Reserve Battalion at Bramshott on February 15, 1918. He then is drafted to the 18th Battalion, goes overseas into France to the Canadian Base Depot on March 29, 1918. He arrived at the Canadian Corp Reinforcement Camp in the field on April 3, 1918.
Private Vollick was returing to camp and walking down the Villers au Bois – Hersin Road when a blackened ambulance struck him and dragged him quite a distance. The ambulance stopped and the soldier with Private Vollick put him in the ambulance and they took him to No. 7 Field Ambulance. No one heard the ambulance coming and it also raining very heavily.
Upon his arrival there it was noticed he had a cut on his forehead, a wound over one eye and a badly bruised chest.
He was then transferred to No. 23 British Casualty Clearing Station - Lozinghem and he died there from his injuries which included a crushed chest.