McLEOD, Alexander

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Clinton, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
20 years 9 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             1st Infantry Brigade
                                             2nd Battalion  -  Eastern Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   400636
RESIDENCE:                    Walton - Ontario
AWARDS:                          Military Medal
DATE OF BIRTH:            October 29, 1896    
                                             Walton – Hullett Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           August 18, 1917                   20 years     9 months
MEMORIAL:                    Vimy Memorial – Vimy –
                                             Pas de Calais - France
PARENTS:                         Mr. Roderick and Margaret McLeod – Walton - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         January 12, 1915 – Clinton 
Enlistment Age:                 18 years     3 months

Private McLeod departed the shores of Canada from Montreal on the S.S. Hesperian and arrived in Liverpool on 
August 27, 1915. He transfers to the 2nd Battalion and then goes into France on January 19, 1916 and then joined his unit in the field on February 3, 1916.
On June 13, 1916 he was admitted to No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station suffering from Shell Shock, then transferred to Ambulance Train on June 14, 1916. Following his convalescence he rejoined his unit on August 1, 1916.
Private McLeod was acting as a Battalion Runner during military operation in the field near Loos. He had reached the dugout of the 1st Trench Mortar Battery and very shortly after that he was struck by an enemy artillery shell. Aid was given immediately but he succumbed to his wounds very shortly after that.
In the early hours of the morning, the enemy began to strafe the front line of the Battalion heavily.  At 6:45 am a runner from No. 3 Company arrived at Battalion Headquarters with a message that the enemy had made an attack but that they had been repulsed.
At 7:15 am a runner fron No, 4 Company arrived at Headquarters stating that it was clear on the left but that the enemy had attacked with liquid fire where the junction of where No. 2 & 3 Companies were located. This attack had also been repulsed.
During the period Private McLeod was acting as a runner the enemy laid down a very heavy and intese barrage on the Battalion front and support areas which lasted for 40 minutes. He followed this with an attack from the woods on the right and from Honey Alley, Horton and Hobart trenches on the left. The enemy numbered about 150 men and this was repulsed.
It is believed that at some point during the heavy enemy 40 minute barrage was when Private McLeod was killed in action as he performed his duties.
Private McLeod was personally awarded the Military Medal by General Currie on October 18, 1916 for bravery in the field.