McGUIRE, Norman Arthur

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Stratford, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
32 years 2 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             4th Canadian Mounted Rifles  -  Toronto
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   727172
RESIDENCE:                    Milverton - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            May 25, 1886
                                             Brussels – Grey / Morris Townships – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           August 9, 1918                    32 years     2 months
MEMORIAL:                    Vimy Memorial – Vimy –
                                             Pas de Calais - France
PARENT:                           Mrs. Emma McGuire – Brussels - Ontario
Occupation:                        Printer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         December 9, 1915 - Stratford
Enlistment Age:                 29 years     7 months

Before he left Canada he was promoted to Corporal. 
Corporal McGuire departed Canada on S.S. Caronia and arrived in Liverpool on November 11, 1916. He was then made a provisional Sergeant while based at Seaford – Sussex. At the end of December of 1916 he transferred to the 8th Reserve based at Shoreham – West Sussex. He then asks to become a Private again, transfers to the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles and proceeds into France then joins his unit in the field on November 24, 1917.
He was appointed Lance Corporal, Acting Corporal and then Sergeant before he died in action.
Sergeant McGuire was advancing with his Company during the attack on the village of Folies in the area of Bocourt when enemy machine gun fire struck him in the eye killing him instantly.
The Brigade assembled in the valley west of Valley Wood. The 4th CMR were to advance on the left of the 5th CMR who had their right flank as the Amiens-Roye and were to advance 850 yards to the north-east.
The advance was to take them over a broad high plateau scarified by old trenches and a single track railway halfway between Le Quesnel and the village of Folies. As soon as they left the trenches they came under heavy enemy enfilade fire from the railway and from a wood on the southern flank. By 2:30 pm the 4th CMR had reached the railway and then at 4:20 pm the final assault on Folies began and the assault was successful with the town being taken. By late afternoon the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles had taken 71 casualties.
By 6 pm the 4th & 5th CMR were holding an old British trench line along the Amiens-Roye Road and meeting the French at Beetroot Factory.
It was during this day when Sergeant McGuire was killed in action performing his military duties.