GERRY, Frank Stewart

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Stratford, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
24 years
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             2nd Brigade Canadian Mounted Rifles
                                             4th Canadian Mounted Rifles  -  Toronto
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   727004
RESIDENCE:                    Brussels – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            October 20, 1893
                                             Brussels – Morris Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           August 28, 1918                   24 years
CEMETERY:                     Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery – Haucourt –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             V     J     6
WIFE:                                 Mrs. Elsie Gerry – Toronto - Ontario
PARENTS:                         Mr. Noble and Jane Gerry – Toronto – Ontario
Occupation:                        Hardware Clerk                    Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         Stratford – November 10, 1915 – 110th Perth Battalion
Enlistment Age:                  22 years     1 month

While Private Gerry was advancing with the men in his Company during an attack on Lady Lane, located south of Boiry, he was killed from the explosion of an enemy shell.
In October of 1916 he went overseas as a Sergeant with the Perth Regiment and then held in England for a year as an instructor at Shorncliffe Camp - Kent. He then reverted to the ranks so he could contribute to the war effort at the front lines.
Private Gerry is sent overseas into France very early in 1918 and he joins the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles.
In the late morning of August 28th, the 3rd Division began their advance onto the Fresnes-Rouvroy line. The 4th and 5th Mounted Rifles poured through the enemy line and captured Haucourt and Remy. As well the 52nd & 58th Battalions had been successful in taking Boiry-Notre-Dame. This fighting took place north of the Arras-Cambrai road.
Before the advance commenced the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles were placed under the command of the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade. One hour before the advance the 4th CMR were advised the Division was to continue the advance.
Zero hour was set for 11:00 am with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles beginning to move to their assembly hours some time prior to zero hour. The march to the front was to prove very trying as the men had to move through very difficult terrain and all the while under a heavy enemy artillery bombardment. From where they were located to the front was 6,000 yards and during this march was when Private Gerry was killed.