DENBOW, John Cleveland

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Brussels, Ontario
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
26 years 5 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             3rd Infantry Brigade
                                             13th Battalion - Royal Highlanders of Canada
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   127223
RESIDENCE:                    Brussels – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            February 20, 1892
                                             Brussels – Grey / Morris Townships – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           August 8, 1918                     26 years     5 months
CEMETERY:                     Hangard Wood British Cemetery – Hangard –
                                             Somme – France
                                             I     A      3
PARENT:                            Mrs. Emma Carter – Brussels – Ontario
Occupation:                        Chauffeur                             Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         Brussels – October 12, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 23 years     9 months

Private Denbow arrived at West Sandling on November 30, 1915. He was Taken on Strength by the 13th Battalion on May 10, 1916 and then went overseas into France.
Private Denbow lost his life during the performance of military duties in an attack upon the Hanguard Wood. He was engaged in aiding his Company to keep direction in the mist. He was following them after leaving the jump off point when he was struck in the head by a shell fragment and died very shortly after.
On June 14, 1916 he was admitted to hospital with a gun shot wound in his shoulder after being wounded at Ypres. He took a shrapnel bullet in the upper left arm and the bullet passed clean through and out the back. He was invalided to England on June 15th and then admitted to No. 1 General Hospital based in Camberwell. On July 20th he was transferred to Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bromley on July 20th and then to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Epsom on July 23rd leaving there on August 17, 1916. He returned to his unit in the field on October 17, 1916.
At 2 am the Brigade moved to the front which was in a quarry in Hangard Wood West. During the night of the 7/8 the enemy artillery was very active. The 3rd Brigade was the lead with the 13th Battalion centre.
Reports had arrived stating there was a great deal of enemy wire in Hangard Wood West and as well there were enemy machine guns in place.
At 4:20 am the Canadian artillery began their barrage and provided support up to the green line and after that point the barrage came from the machine-guns. Casualties were taken because the artillery was falling short. The advance proved difficult because of ground mist and smoke and visibility was just 30 feet.
Hangard Wood had to be cleared of enemy machine-gun nests and this resulted in many casualties until these positions were captured. The attack progressed to Croates Trench where enemy machine-guns held the advance for 45 minutes. These positions as well were overcome – this time with the Stokes guns.
Enemy 5.9” guns were captured in Pantaloon Ravine along with a battery of enemy 4.1” guns and some field guns.
During this day of battle, the advance was approximately 5,000 yards. 
It was during this day of fighting where Private Denbow lost his life performing his military duties in battle.