• Headstone
  • Headstone

AGAR, George

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
22 years 6 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             3rd Infantry Brigade
                                             15th Battalion - 48th Highlanders of Canada.
                                             4th Company
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO.                   204089
RESIDENCE:                    Cheviot – Saskatchewan 
DATE OF BIRTH:            January 3, 1895
                                             Gorrie – Township of Howick, County of Huron – Ontario.
DATE OF DEATH:           July 24, 1917                       22 years     6 months
CEMETERY:                    Lillers Communal Cemetery – Lillers –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             V     D     48
BROTHER:                     Mr. Irwin Agar – Floral – Saskatchew
Occupation:                        Gas Engineer                        Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:      December 14, 1915 - `Saskatoon 
Enlistment Age                  19 years     11 months

Private Agar departed Halifax and Canada on September 27, 1916 and arrived overseas in England on 
October 6, 1916.
In early January 1917, he was transferred to the 5th Reserve Battalion at Bramshott - Hampshire before transferring to the 15th Battalion and by May 22, 1917 he had joined them in the field.
The enemy was active with his “Whiz Bangs” but our artillery was very active and heavy against the enemy front and his wire. The night of July 19/20 was quiet except for some sporadic light enemy artillery fire, but at 1 am the enemy opened up with his trench mortars and the Battalion replied with their Stokes guns shooting 50 rounds. The Battalion artillery fired on the enemy trench mortar positions.
The Battalion was located at Les Brebis. The morning of July 20th the weather was dull with winds light from the north-west with clearing good weather in the afternoon. The Battalion artillery was active all day against the enemy front and support lines.
At 8:40 pm the enemy artillery which had been very quiet all day became quite active probably in response to their lines being bombarded. They fired about 50 shells onto the position of the Battalion.
The enemy wire had a few gaps blown in it at some points and in other areas the Brigade artillery had barely touched the enemy wire.
There was low visibility in the morning and enemy movement could not be observed.
At some point during this day Private Agar was dangerously wounded with a penetrating wound in his chest and wounds to both legs. He was taken to No. 57 Casualty Clearing Station – St. Venant. He fought for his life until July 24th and at this time his wounds were too serious for him to survive.
He was then buried by the 57th Casualty Clearing Station at St. Venant.