• Photo
  • Memorial

ADLEY, Edward Percy

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Clinton, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
29 years 7 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:         3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             2nd Brigade Canadian Mounted Rifles
                                             4th Canadian Mounted Rifles - Toronto
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO.                   401555
RESIDENCE:                    Clinton – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            February 20, 1887
                                             Etham – Kent County – England
DATE OF DEATH:           September 15, 1916             29 years – 7 months
MEMORIAL:          Vimy Memorial – Vimy –
                                             Pas de Calais - France
MOTHER:                          Mrs. Annie Adley – Bellingham – London – England
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         Clinton – September 1, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 28 years     6 months

Private Adley departed from Canada on March 17, 1916 and arrive in Enland on March 25, 1916.
Once in England he transferred to the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles on June 6, 1916 and arrived at his unit already in the field on June 9, 1916.
He was known as “Ted” and he had come to Canada to seek his fortune. Prior to his enlistment he worked at the Gailbraith Farm north of Bayfield located at Highway 21 and the Clinton Road.
Private Adley was killed in the trenches of the Somme.
During the night of September 14/15 the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles were to bomb down the trenches of the left flank but this order was late in reaching the Battalion Headquarters. The bombers advanced down the trench as far as they thought it was wise to do so until they had the support of the attacking party. Rapid fire and grenade launchers were ordered to fire on the enemy positions in the Zellhorn Grabben Trench and this was to keep their heads down.
Due to the orders being late the Battalion had less than four hours to be organized and at their jump off positions and in that period had to march 2 hours through an exceptionally heavy enemy barrage and up very crowded trenches. They then had to consolidate their positions and dig a new trench and all this time they were under heavy enemy fire. 
Then it was decided the 4th CMR would advance 30 minutesd later with the support of an artillery barrage and the objective of the first wave was a trench 275 yards out with the second wave passing through and then occupying a part of Fabeck Graben trench another 100 yards in front of where the first wave was.
“B” Company was on the left and advanced well but “C” Company was on the right with enemy machine guns wiping out most of two platoons. “B” Company was not aware of the situation with “C” Company and advanced alone. They found the enemy wire had not been totally cut and the enemy from Mouquet Farm kept up their enfilade fire but “C” Company kept on advancing and took their objective and their second wave passed through to Fabeck Graben trench.
Blocks were set up in the tranches and this Company was not strong enough to stop an enemy counter-attack from the enemy but support arrived from “C” Company and finally they were able to consolidate.
It was during this period of time where Private Adley lost his life while performing his military duties.