TAYLOR, George Ross

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Wingham, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
21 years 3 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Infantry Division
                                             1st Infantry Brigade
                                             1st Battalion - Western Ontario
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654101
RESIDENCE:                    Whitechurch – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            June 23, 1897
                                             Chesley – Bruce County - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 20, 1918                 21 years      3 months
CEMETERY:                     Hasnon Churchyard Cemetery – Hasnon –
                                             Nord - France
                                             Eastern boundary
PARENTS:    Mr. & Mrs. William Taylor – Lucknow - Ontario
Occupation:                        Farmer                                  Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Wingham – December 29, 1915
Enlistment Age:                 18 years     6 months

Private Taylor and the 161st Battalion sailed from Canadian shores on November 1, 1916 and arrived in Liverpool on November 11, 1916.
He is then attached to the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion on March 23, 1918 and then on March 12, 1917 he is then attached to the 14th Canadian Infantry Brigade based at Witley Camp – Surrey. Private Taylor is Struck off Strength from the 14th Canadian Infantry Brigade and Taken on Strength with the 1st Canadian Battalion on March 28, 1918. He goes overseas into France and joins his unit in the field on April 3, 1918.
On October 20, 1918 the weather was showers with fair visibility. The Brigade was located in the eastern outskirts of Wandignies.
The intention of the 1st Brigade was to pass through the 2nd Brigade and continue the advance beginning at 4:30 am.
This advance was the pursuit of the enemy forces from Canal de la Sensee to the Foret de Rasmus. The Liberated French citizens were able to supply the Canadians with valuable information about the enemy. Here the ground was very level and low lying with numerous ditches and marshes.
Prior to the advance at 6:15 am the men had their breakfast and following this the right and left Companies were “B & D” with “C” as support and “A” in reserve. At 7:30 am the advance went forward and at 9 am the Battalion passed through the advanced troops of the 2nd Battalion and then entered Bois des Esclusettes.
At 10:15 am the advance was going slowly and there was heavy opposition from the enemy machine guns.
At 11:10 “D” Company was advancing onto La Choques. “B” Company was also advancing and in touch with “D” Company.
At 11:50 am the enemy was shelling along the railroad and there was considerable enemy machine gun fire encountered from concealed positions.
By 12:30 pm it was quite noticeable that the German resistance was increasing and much resistance was coming from La Choques and the nearby woods. In mid afternoon the sounds of heavy explosions from Grand Bray could be heard.
By 7 pm a hot meal was being prepared followed by the rum ration.
By 11:20 pm the enemy machine gun fire had quietened down and patrols were now being sent out.
It was during this day of pursuit of the enemy where Private Taylor fell in battle.