MAINES, George Edward

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Blyth, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
20 years 8 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             9th Infantry Brigade
                                             58th Battalion - Central Ontario
                                             “C” Company
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654380
RESIDENCE:                    Blyth – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            October 16, 1896
                                             Blyth – East Wawanosh / Morris Townships – County of Huron – Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           June 28, 1917                       20 years     8 months
MEMORIAL:                    Vimy Memorial – Vimy –
                                             Pas de Calais - France
PARENTS:                         Mr. John and Mary Maines – Blyth – Ontario
Occupation:                        Clerk                                    Religion:     Methodist
Enlistment:                         Blyth – January 22, 1916 – 161st Huron battalion
Enlistment Age:                 19 years     3 months

On November 11, 1916, the Battalion arrived in England. On November 27, 1916, he was Struck off Strength of the 161st after transferring to the 58th and on November 29th he was Taken on Strength by the 58th Battalion. When overseas in France he joined his unit at the front on December 22, 1916.
Our research tells us from the information in his records, the diaries of both the 58th Battalion and 9th Brigade that he was a member of “C” Company as the other Companies did not suffer the same losses as “C” Company. It is also a coincidence that both Private Maines and Private Mahoney were in the same Company and both lost their life on this day of battle. We also believe that Private Maines was a member of No. 11 platoon.
This upcoming day of fighting the weather was good with winds from the south-west at 10 mph.
At 2:30 am the Battalion advanced successfully toward Avion under a creeping barrage. The infantry was able to pit some flares into the enemy trenches and the Royal Flying Corps assisted by dropping bombs. “A” + “B” Companies attacked and were then able to occupy an outpost line in Avion in conjunction with the 52nd on the left and 43rd on the right flanks.
The outposts were No. 11 platoon on the left from 52nd to SLAG HEAP and to hold 3 posts; No. 12 platoon on the right from No 11 Platoon to the 43rd and holding 2 posts and No. 9 Platoon with a spare Lewis gun and crew to occupy the final objective at FOSSE 4.
At 7:10 pm patrols were to go out toward the enemy trench at FOSSE 4 with orders to occupy and it was important to establish a post on SLAG HEAP. A barrage of fourteen minutes was going to assist the advance.
The barrage was coming down on time and No. 9 Platoon pushed forward. Flares went up and the first objective was taken at 7:40 pm and the final objective at FOSSE 4 was taken at 8 pm. 
No. 12 Platoon was in difficulty and a platoon from “B” Company went to assist.
No. 11 Platoon sent word that they were surrounded on three sides and unable to connect with the 43rd and thus had to retire. They then took up positions on the outpost line. At 11:15 pm word was sent that they had suffered heavy casualties and that they needed immediate reinforcements.