FISHER, Abraham Leslie

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Clinton, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
31 years
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT: 4th Canadian Infantry Division, 10th Infantry Brigade, 47th Battalion - Western Ontario, Canadian Infantry Corps
RESIDENCE: Clinton – Ontario 
CEMETERY:  Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension – Aubigny-en-Artois – Pas de Calais – France    IV     A     2
PARENTS:   Mr. Seth and Mary Ann Fisher – Clinton – Ontario
Occupation:  Farmer                                  
Religion:    Methodist

Private Fisher and the 161st Battalion had departed Canada eleven days earlier and arrived in England on November 11, 1916. On March 8th of 1918 at Wiley Camp – Surrey he was struck off strength of the 161st Battalion and transferred to the 47th Battalion. He went overseas into France on March 10th and he joined his Battalion in the field on March 14, 1918.

On September 2nd there was good weather with winds from the south-west and good observation.  “B” & “D” Companies were left/right assault. “A” & “C” were left/right support. For the advance, the 85th Battalion was left, the 47th Battalion was centre with the right Battalion being the 50th. 

At 5:00 am “over the top” they went and followed their creeping barrage. Upon reaching the enemy wire which was heavy they found much of it uncut and they had to cut it by hand to continue the advance. Here there was enemy rifle and machine gun fire. The enemy was very prompt in bringing down their own heavy artillery barrage and it was here that casualties were taken.

The support Companies leaf-frogged the assault Companies when the 2nd line objective was taken while the assault Companies then advanced to the 4th line objectives and consolidated those. The Battalion found a heavy garrison of the enemy in the trenches who originally put up a stiff fight mainly with the use of their machine guns but as the fight became close the enemy resistance ended. When the final objective was reached the 46th leap-frogged the Battalion who then reorganized on the west slope of Mont Dury and were ready to continue the advance. Casualties were- 12 killed, 122 wounded and 34 missing. 

Private Fisher died from shrapnel wounds in the legs he received while taking part in an operation on the Drocourt-Queant Line. He was tended to immediately in the field and then taken to No. 42 British Casualty Clearing Station - Mingoval where his wounds were dressed. However, even with the best efforts of the medical personnel looking after him his wounds proved too severe and he died later that day.