CLARKE (CLARK), Herbert Francis

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Hensall, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
40 years 4 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT: 4th Canadian Infantry Division, 10th Infantry Brigade, 47th Battalion - Western Ontario, Canadian Infantry Corps
RESIDENCE: Hensall – Ontario 
PARENTS:   Mr. Augustus Bagley and Mary Alice Bagley Clarke – Leigh on Sea - Essex – England
Occupation: Labourer                               
Religion:   Church of England

Private Clark had arrived in England on November 11, 1916 on the S.S. Lapland. On February 23, 1918, he is absorbed into the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion and on February 24th transferred to the 47th Battalion. He went to France and arrived at Canadian Base Depot on March 30, 1918 where he joined the 47th Battalion in the field on May 24, 1918.

The weather was fine with good observation and the winds were from the south-west.  “B” Company was right assault & “D” Company was left assault with “A” & “C” Companies in support. At 5:00 am the 47th Battalion was centre – 85th Battalion was left & 50th Battalion was right and they went over the top and advanced under a creeping barrage. 

Much enemy wire was found uncut and a lot was cut by hand. Here the enemy fire came from machine gun and rifle fire and it was heavy. The support Companies then leaf-frogged the assault companies upon reaching the 2nd line, and the assault companies advanced to the fourth trench line which was the objective. The enemy protective barrage was very prompt and very heavy, There were casualties. They were resisted by a heavy enemy garrison in the trenches who put up a stiff fight mainly by a large number of their machine guns.  In spite of this the Germans were quickly overrun.

When the final objective was reached the 46th Battalion leapfrogged the Battalion who then reorganized on the western slope of Mont Dury ready to continue the advance. As all four objectives were reached and consolidated the Battalion found the enemy putting up a stiff fight until the fighting became close.

Casualties were 12 killed, 122 wounded and 34 missing. Private Clarke was killed on the battlefield while advancing with his comrades near Dury after heavy enemy shell fire was brought down on their positions by the enemy.