BULLARD, John Eldon

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Seaforth, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
19 years 6 months
Biographical Summary

NAME:                                BULLARD                   John Eldon    
RANK:                                Private
DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             9th Infantry Brigade 
                                             43rd Battalion - Cameron Highlanders of Canada
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654522
RESIDENCE:                    Seaforth – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            April 11, 1899
                                             Winthrop -  McKillop Township – County of Huron – Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 24, 1918                 19 years     6 months     
CEMETERY:                     Etaples Military Cemetery – Etaples –
                                             Pas de Calais – France
                                             LXVI     K     33
PARENTS:                         Mr. John and Margaret Bullard – Seaforth - Ontario
Occupation:                        Blacksmith                           Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Seaforth – February 29, 1916 – 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 16 years.     10 months

The 161st Battalion departed from Halifax and Canadian shores on November 1, 1916 and arrived in England on November 11, 1916.
Private Bullard, on November 27, 1916 is Taken off Strength from the 161st and Taken on Strength with the 
34th Reserve Battalion. Then he is Taken off Strength from the 34th Reserve Battalion on April 21, 1917 and joins the 25th Reserve Battalion. Private Bullard transferred to the 43rd Battalion and joined them in the field on 
      August 26, 1918.
Private Bullard and the 9th Infantry Brigade / 43rd Battalion were taking part in military operations 
      north of Cambrai on October 1st when he was dangerously wounded in the leg, right knee and thigh 
      from the explosion of an enemy shell. He was evacuated to No. 18 General Hospital located in 
      Camiers – France. He lost his battle to survive approximately three weeks later.
The weather during this bitter day of fighting was bright and cool with rain at night. The winds were south-west at 20 mph. At 05:00 am the Battalion jumped off. At 10:00 am, “A” Company was holding their position with the remainder of about 15 men and that “C” Company had passed through and was now 600 yards in front and in need of reinforcements. “M” Battery of the 3rd Canadian Machine Gun Battalion was moving toward “C” Company with 5 guns and would support the left flank if there was a counter-attack.
At 11:30 am “A” Company reported they were holding a trench system with 12 men and that the system was fortified shell holes occupied by Canadians. There was heavy enemy fire from Morenchies Wood and sniping from the Canal and reconnaissance was not possible. At same time “C” Company reported there were disorganized and holding a position in rear of a road and could not proceed because of enemy machine gun fire from the front and both of his flanks.
Reports from “B” Company stated the Ridge was being held by the elements of a number of companies and that they were scattered and were taking heavy enemy machine gun fire from Morenchies as well as enemy artillery fire from Ramillies. At 3:00 pm the enemy had attacked on the left flank and the units in that area could be seen moving slowly back without reason or leadership. Officers went out to stop the retirement and the 27th Battalion moved across the front and shortly the situation was normal.  A point post was established with them, and a patrol was sent out with orders to locate a post of the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles.
At 7:00 pm a report was received that a resistance line had been formed with about 70 men and that they did not know if any men were forward of his location. During this period 38 had been killed, 124 were wounded and 134 were missing.