BOND, Herbert James

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Wingham, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
21 years 6 months
Biographical Summary

NAME:                                BOND                          Herbert James 
RANK:                                Private
DIVISIONAL UNIT:        3rd Canadian Infantry Division
                                             8th Infantry Brigade
                                             5th Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles - Quebec
                                             Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                   654259
RESIDENCE:                    Wingham – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:            April 9, 1897
                                             Leyton – London - England
DATE OF DEATH:           November 6, 1918               21 years    6 months
CEMETERY:                     Auberchicourt British Cemetery – Auberchicourt –
                                             Nord – France
                                             I     C     3
BROTHER:                        Mr. Sidney Bond – Toronto – Ontario
PARENTS:                         Mr. Harry and Carolina Louisa Bond – Diss – England
Occupation:                        Bank Clerk.                          Religion:     Church of England
Enlistment:                         Wingham – January 17, 1916 – 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                 18 years     9 months

Private Bond arrived overseas on November 11, 1916. On February 23, 1918, he is Struck off Strength of the 161st and Taken on Strength by the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion based at Witley Camp - Surrey. That same day he is Taken on Strength by the 23rd Reserve Battalion. Private Bond joined the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles on March 28, 1918. He joined them in the field on April 5, 1918.
The Canadian Mounted Rifles of the Canadian Corps originally were cavalry troops but reverted to infantry at the beginning of 1916. This was due in part to the advances in military technology which eventually led to the cavalry units becoming obsolete.
Private Bond died from severe head trauma from enemy shrapnel received on November 5th during the 
     advance on Quadrouble. He was immediately taken to a Field Ambulance and from there to No. 1 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station – Agnez-les-Duisans. He succumbed to his wound the following day November 6, 1918. 
At 2:10 am “B: Company was ordered to prolong their frontage as far as the Mons-Valenciennes Road and to relieve elements of the 7th Brigade. An hour later Battalion HQ was moved to Onnaing.
The Battalion began their attack on the left through the village of Vicq.
At 5:30 am the advance continued forward and by 6:30 am “B” Company had secured the northern outskirts of Quadrouble. Posts were being pushed forward and patrols were out as far as the Sunken Road.
At 5:30 am instructions were received for the Battalion to secure Crespin and then exploit the Audregnins-Hensins Road with attacks from the right and left flanks.
“A” Company at 9:00 am reported they had established posts and “C” Company on the left captured the Slag Pile and established posts following the over powering of enemy opposition with an outflanking movement.
At 1:00 pm there was a patrol sent out and it encountered considerable opposition from sniper fire.
There was heavy opposition coming from the steel works and the nearby road. The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles then attacked on the left through the village of Vicq and pushed posts along the railway. Again the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles met heavy opposition from the slag pile but this was overcome by outflanking the enemy and eliminating that threat.
That night contact had been lost with “B” Company resulting in no artillery support but early the following morning contact was re-established.
This is a brief account from the Battalion war diaries on how Private Bond fell in battle performing his duties.