NICOLLS, Norman Edward

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Valcartier, Quebec
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
25 years 7 months 27 years 7 months
Biographical Summary

DIVISIONAL UNIT:        1st Canadian Army Medical Corps
SERVICE NO:                   34560
RESIDENCE:                    Wingham - Ontario
DATE OF BIRTH:            March 15 / 1891 or 1893
                                             Wingham – Turnberry Township – County of Huron - Ontario
DATE OF DEATH:           October 18, 1918                 27 years     7 months or     25 years     7 months 
CEMETERY:                     Wingham Cemetery – Wingham –
                                             County of Huron - Ontario
FATHER:                           Mr. Alfred Nicholls – Wingham - Ontario
Occupation:                        Druggist                               Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         September 24, 1914 – Valcartier – 1st Canadian Army Medical Corps
Enlistment Age:                 23 years     6 months

Private Nicholls departed Canada bound for England on the S.S. Franconia on October 14, 1914. He arrived overseas in France in February 1915. He was attached to No. 2 General Hospital – Canadian Army Medical Corps.
His mother died in 1916 and he returned to Canada for two months before returning to England on October 13, 1916.
Upon his return to England following the death of his mother he was taken on strength on October 21, 1916 by the Canadian Army Medical Corps Training School based at Cheriton. He was then detailed for duty with the Senior Medical Officer on November 11, 1916.
He then spent time as a patient at Westcliffe Eye and Ear Hospital in Folkstone with Vincent’s Angina beginning January 26, 1917. He was transferred to Folkstone Isolation Hospital with measles on February 10, 1917. He went back to Westcliffe at the end of February 1917.
He was taken on strength by No. 1 Advanced Depot, Canadian Medical Storesd based at Folkstone on April 13, 1917. He was then appointed to Westcliffe Eye and Ear Hospital in Folkstone on July 26, 1917. He then was admitted to this same facility with acute inguinal hernia on January 20, 1918. He had a hernia and was trussed then he caught a cold and was couphing and this exasperated his situation. Then he moved as a patient to Moore Barracks Hospital in Folkstone on January 20, 1918. He has a double hernia operation on January 23, 1918 and a week later develops pneumonia and then in mid April 1918 he contacts influenza. From there he goes back to Westcliffe on May 2, 1918 with catarrhal (inflammation of the nose and throat) and Otis media (inflammation of the middle ear). His right ear drum is scarred and has thickened.
He is struck off strength to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Depot based in Shorncliffe on May 9, 1918.
He is admitted to No. 5 Canadian General Hospital based in Liverpool with empyema (infection of the pleural space) on May 28, 1918 and is invalided back to Canada on the Hospital Ship Llandovery Castle on June 6, 1918.
When he is back in Canada he goes to the Brant Military Hospital in Burlington on June 20, 1918 with Dyspnea (shortness of breath) and then is taken to Spadina Military Hospital in Toronto on July 26, 1918 and is diagnosed with Empyema and now weighs 121 pounds. He is discharged as medically unfit on September 12, 1918.
Our research indicates that following his discharge he came home to Wingham and approximately 5 weeks later Norman passed away.
Corporal Nicholls served his country to the best of his ability under extreme medical hardships.