• Headstone
  • Reginald Angell

ANGELL, Reginald George

1st World War
Date of Birth
Date Attested
Attested at
Hensall, Ontario
Original Unit
Regimental Number
Date of Death
Age at Death
26 years 8 months
Biographical Summary

NAME:                                ANGELL                              Reginald George      
RANK:                                Corporal
DIVISIONAL UNIT:             4th Canadian Infantry Division
                                           10th Infantry Brigade
                                           47th Battalion - Western Ontario 
                                           Canadian Infantry Corps
SERVICE NO:                    654002
RESIDENCE:                     Hensall – Ontario 
DATE OF BIRTH:               February 10, 1892
                                           London - England
DATE OF DEATH:             October 21, 1918                 26 years     8 months
CEMETERY:                      Denain  Communal Cemetery – Denain –
                                           Nord – France.
                                           C     67
WIFE:                                 Mrs. Myrtle M. Angell – Hensall - Ontario
PARENTS:                         Mr. & Mrs. George Angell – Hensall – Ontario
Occupation:                        Painter and Decorator         Religion:     Presbyterian
Enlistment:                         Hensall - December 15, 1915 - 161st Huron Battalion
Enlistment Age:                  23 years     10 months

Private Angell and the 161st Battalion departed Halifax and Canada and arrived in England on November 11, 1916.
Corporal Angell is promoted to the rank of Sergeant on June 15, 1917 at Dibgate Camp – Shorncliffe – Kent.  At his request he reverts to the rank of Corporal on March 8, 1918 and proceeds over seas into France that same day and is Taken on Strength by the 47th Battalion. He joins them in the field on March 14, 1918.                                              
While a Private with the 47th he was wounded in the head on July 12, 1918 and evacuated to No. 13 Canadian Field Ambulance, then moved to No. 33 Casualty Clearing station on July 28th and a day later he became a patient at No. 18 General Hospital in Camiers. Then it was on to the Convalescent Depot at Etaples on August 6th, and from there to No. 5 Convalescent Depot at Cayeux on August 15th.  He re-joined his unit on October 5th, 1918.                           
Corporal Angell was killed in action on October 21, 1918 as he advanced with his Company in front of the village of La Sentinelle. While advancing they came under heavy enemy machine gun fire and Corporal Angell received fatal wounds and died immediately.                                                                                                                                          
The observation was poor – unsettled weather – winds from north-east. The advance was continuing and by 6:30 am they had passed through Wavrenchain & Bugneres and the left flank was pushed out toward Haveluy. By 8 am reports said Oisy / Herin were enemy free. Contact was made with the 54th Battalion on the left while reconnaissance was toward Aubry. Advance halted at 10:15 am so the 47th Battalion / 44th Battalion could attack together with artillery support. At 12:40 pm the advance began again with “A” & “C” Companies leap-frogging through “B” & “D” Companies and by 1:40 pm the outskirts of La Sentinelle were reached and Fosse Davt had been secured. By 3 pm a line was established running for a short distance south of Fosse du Temple + the Fosse Reussite, through La Sentinelle to the Rouvignigs-Valenciennes Road. The left was in touch with the 87th Battalion and the right in touch with the 44th Battalion.  Here the opposition became severe from the direction of St. Waast-la-Haut and the right and the advance was halted at this point and because of failing light. This line was consolidated and the 50th Battalion took over.                                                                                                                                       
Casualties were 5 killed, 22 wounded and one man missing.